Please look at the following bullet points to see how the process has changed:
- To enter the building, you will need to be masked.
- Mask wearing is required the entire time that you are in the playhouse with the exception of your time on stage.
- Please wash your hands or use the provided hand sanitizer as soon as you can after you enter the building.
- Always apply the 6ft distancing rule when attending auditions. We will consider this as part of our onstage audition guidelines as well.
- You will be asked to attend only one night of auditions. You will need to confirm the night you wish to attend so that we can contain crowd size. More details on this will be published prior to each audition.
- We will post (and email at your request) a fillable PDF audition form. Please fill it out online and submit it prior to your arrival the night of auditions. Details will follow.
- Once the audition is over, we ask that you exit the building without congregating in the aisles, the lobby or immediately outside the front doors.
Our season schedule contains the audition and performance dates for our six mainstage shows. We will post more details at least two weeks in advance of each audition.
Unless otherwise specified, auditions are as follows:
- Auditions are on a Sunday and Monday at 7:00pm. The doors will open at 6:30.
- Auditioners only need to attend one audition. Wear comfortable clothing and shoes. No prior experience or resume is required.
- Before you arrive, please fill out an audition form and submit it online including contact information, prior experience (if any), expected rehearsal conflicts, and desired roles.
- A prepared piece is not required.
- After the two nights of auditions, callbacks will usually not be necessary.
- Every auditioner will be notified by phone of their result, before the full cast list is announced publicly.
- Surfside does not precast roles....ever.
Auditions will consist of:
Musicals & Non-Musicals
Cold readings from the script
Each auditioneer will be taught a 30 second selection of music from the show.
Each auditioneer will be taught a15 second dance / staged movement routine.
(THE MAN IN THE FLYING CHAIR) by Bridget Carpenter
Audition Dates: March 7 & 8, 2021
Show Dates: April 23 - May 2
Note: For synopsis and character list, please scroll down.
Auditioning? Please fill out this online form and hit submit when completed.
Here is a link to a copy of a perusal script:
WALTER GRIFFIN - Playing 40s - 50s
HELEN GRIFFIN - Playing 40s,
MIKEY GRIFFIN - 15ish
MARIA - 16ish
AUNT CHRIS - Playing 40 - 60, Also Plays Helens Mother
PHILIPPE PETIT - 35-50, also plays STUDENT and UPS MAN
FIREFIGHTER - 20s-30s
Up invites us into the life of Walter Griffin, a failed inventor obsessed with Philippe Petit's famed 1974 wire-walk between the twin World Trade Center towers. Walter's greatest moment of glory – a flight on a lawn chair festooned with helium balloons – is now long behind him, though Walter dreams of inventing something wonderful once more. His wife, Helen, has become disillusioned and frustrated at being the family's only breadwinner. Their teenage son, Mikey, harbors dreams of his own: after befriending Maria, a pregnant girl in his class, Mikey becomes involved in her family's phone sales business, with surprising results. When Walter finally takes a job, Mike keeps his a secret, and Helen allows herself to dream of a more secure life. But when Helen discovers the truth about Walter's employment, it becomes clear to this family that life itself is lived on a wire not unlike Petit's, this one strung between happiness and sadness.
Watch this space for upcoming auditions, or let us notify you of all our auditions and events by:
- following us on Facebook